We have found out some interesting facts in our research for National Shed Week. We never would have believed that people could be scared of sheds but in Slavic folklore, they are, and thanks to a Google search, we are a little scared now too.
8 little known facts about sheds and their uses!
1. 1 in 5 Brits admit to spending time in their shed to escape their partners, with 21% of people preferring to spend time in a shed rather than see their in-laws.
2. 24% of people use sheds to store their guilty secrets, cigarettes, unhealthy snacks or shopping receipts. Come on, we all have hidden secrets!
3. 30 million homes in Britain have a shed, that’s nearly 51% of the population!
4. 1/3 of men believe that having a shed has been positive on their relationship. I wonder why the 'pub shed' has become so popular!
5. 20% of shed owners have had an accident in their sheds. You can use your imagination on this one!
6. In Slavic folklore, the shed is feared, as it is believed to be the home of Baba Yaga, a witchlike character who flies around on a giant pestle kidnapping children. Don't believe us? Find out more.
7. In 1995, a 15 year old boy was arrested for trying to build a Nuclear Reactor in his parents' shed. He wanted to earn his Boy Scout Merit Badge and thought that was the way to do it. Read more.
8. 50 Sheds of Grey, the parody written by Colin Grey, tells the story of a man torn between his wife’s sexual adventurism and spending time in his beloved shed. The book is a bestseller, even outselling the original.
Check out our wide range of garden sheds, and join in the fun. There's nothing scary about our sheds, I promise!
Search Dunster House Blog